How It Works
9 Steps to becoming a specialist
Qualify as a general accountant. This means you need to be awarded one of the following designations:
- Business Accountant in Practice (SA),
- Professional Accountant (SA),
- Associate General Accountant (SA)
Practice for a minimum of 3 years as a general accountant providing accounting and tax services to the public for a fee.
Register as a student on SAIBA Academy.
Select “Become a specialist”
Select an area in which you would like to earn a specialist license by considering the options available from the SAIBA Academy.
Select the assessment option that best fits your circumstances:
- Assessment only – You are an expert in the relevant subject area and just need official recognition for what you already know.
- Assessment plus Study material – You have general knowledge of the subject area, and need more guidance to specialise.
- Assessment plus Study material plus Tuition – You need to develop your specialist knowledge and experience in the subject area and require assistance from an expert.
Pay the required fee.
Attempt the assessment within 12 months of registering as a student and paying the assessment fee.
If successful you will be awarded a SAIBA specialist license and your name will be entered into the SAIBA specialist referral list.
If unsuccessful you have 1 further opportunity to complete the assessment.