14 September 2022
SARS announced that this year’s Employer Interim Reconciliation Declaration (EMP501) submission period opens on 19 September 2022 and closes on 31 October 2022.
- Employers with fewer than 50 employees can use either SARS eFiling or SARS e@syFile™. If the employer has 50 or less IRP5/IT3(a) certificates, the payroll system will generate a tax certificate file, which can then be imported into eFiling.
- Employers with more than 50 employees can only file the EMP501 using the Employer e@syFile™.
What you need to do
- Download the latest Employers e@syFile version (available from 16 September 2022) via SARS eFiling.
- Submit all outstanding annual EMP501 reconciliations and make sure the monthly declarations (EMP201) have been submitted and fully paid up to date.
- All new employees need to be registered for income tax purposes. Employers must register them using Single (“Individual ITREG”) and bundle IT Registration (“Bundled ITREG”) for existing tax numbers as well as new registrations available on e@syFile™. First-time job seekers can register for income tax via eFiling or on the SARS MobiApp.
How to deal with ETI
The monthly ETI data must be added to the end of the tax certificate information for every employee that qualifies for ETI. ETI data must be reported for all months in the reconciliation period. For the interim bi-annual submission, 6 months of ETI data (from March until August) must be reported, and for the final submission, 12 months of ETI data (from March until February) must be reported.
Penalties will be charged on late submissions.
You can read more in the SARS notice here.